Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Acrylic Collage


"Transformer"
Acrylic Collage on Paper on Board
2010
32" x 43"

My titles seldom make reference to pop culture, but in this case, I felt the machine-like coloration and texture made a connection with a popular movie. The fragmented grid is not only cubist, it suggests the grinding of planes causing pressure on the "Nude Descending the Staircase" cascading of the red vertical band that divides the collage in two unequal sections.

I enjoy laying tiles of paint. The complexity of the design draws me in to study the positioning of every unit- alignments and disruptions. Each section is cut from a larger sheet of acrylic that is first poured on plastic sheeting, dry-brushed, scrapped, sprinkled on... manipulated to create textured flows of color and markings. The assemblage of sectional units creates a new paradigm - a new structure- a new statement.

I am now exploring new materials for collage work. My works spans small texture and color paint collage studies, large works on paper to major works on board.